Limiting global warming in line with the Paris Agreement target of 1.5 °C will be no easy task. Governments and policy makers around the world will depend on science to provide reliable evidence to inform decision making.
As the UK’s National Metrology Institute, NPL can support this decision making process with accurate, reliable data to support climate action through:
- SI traceable measurements and the development of standards, which enable international comparison of climate data
- Measurement science to support the development of technologies that can transition into high value solutions
- Prioritised activity in areas where environmental changes most directly impact humanity
- Maintaining and applying national science and measurement infrastructure
Supporting climate, emissions and energy innovation research
Our scientists work closely with collaborators across the UK and around the world to inform our approach to current and foreseeable challenges. We create partnerships with key stakeholders from the private, public and non-profit sectors to help drive innovation by:
- Supporting the UK’s delivery of ‘net-zero’ greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 (2045 in Scotland)
- Understanding of greenhouse gas emissions and other environmental pollutants
- Understanding the measurement needs facing future decarbonised energy vectors including hydrogen
- Delivering high quality, differentiated science and engineering ahead of industry need, to enable the transition to a high value, green economy
Contact us to find out more about our environment team and learn more of the expertise available through collaboration with our experts.