Providing bespoke research, reliability assessments and lifetime predictions for advanced electronic substrates and attachment solutions
Electrical interconnects are an intrinsic part of any electronic system. Interconnects have to perform on a wide range of substrates and under different environmental conditions. They must survive induced stresses from thermal, mechanical, corrosive and electrical factors. In many instances, the capability of the interconnects are a road block to realising the full performance and reliability of the functional circuit.
Novel and extended application areas (smaller, faster, lighter and hotter) and the need for sustainability are driving electronics manufacturing into new material choices and combinations. We investigate interconnect properties and develop metrological techniques to characterise materials and their performance. Our research focuses on emerging technologies for harsh environments, including corrosive or condensing atmospheres and high temperatures. We also study power electronics, wearable technology, embedded substrates and the electrochemical performance in coating systems.
- In situ measurements on electronics assemblies for thermal, electrical, mechanical and combinational stress regimes
- Bespoke measurement solutions
- Measurement technology to characterise electrochemical corrosion in electronic substrates and protective coatings
- Microstructural and materials understanding of complex interfaces within solders, conductive adhesives, PCBs and ceramics
- Metrology in smart textiles and printed electronics
Advances in electronics manufacturing calls for innovation in metrology. We work with partners to provide the measurement tools, enabling high confidence in the performance and rapid adoption of new technologies by industry.
Designers, manufacturers and end-users of electronic equipment who need advice on improving the reliability of assemblies operating in challenging and demanding environments will benefit from our wide experience and practical approach.
Find out more about NPL's Electronics reliability services