Committed to quality
NPL is committed to providing a quality service to all our customers taking due regard of environmental issues and a safe and healthy working environment. Extracts from NPL's Quality, Environmental and Health and Safety documentation demonstrate this commitment.
NPL's quality management system has been registered for scientific R&D and the provision of internal services by BSI to ISO 9001:2015 and software quality certification TickITplus. Paper masters of the certificates of approval and the certificate schedules are held by the NPL Quality Assurance team. BSI certificate of approval:
ISO 9001:2015 Certificate of Registration
TickITplus Certificate of Registration
NPL's standard calibration, measurement and testing services have been accredited by UKAS. The accredited capability of those services may be found in the calibration and testing schedules issued by UKAS:
Calibration – UKAS reference number 0478: Certificate | Laboratory scope
Testing – UKAS reference number 0002: Certificate | Laboratory scope
Reference Materials – UKAS reference number 4002: Certificate | Laboratory scope
Proficiency Testing – UKAS reference number 0016: Certificate | Laboratory scope
Cyber Essentials PLUS
NPL has achieved certification to the UK Government Cyber Essentials PLUS scheme, providing an assurance framework of fundamental technical security controls, including: Boundary Firewalls and Internet Gateways; Secure Configuration; Access Control; Malware Protection; and Patch Management.
- This policy, and the Quality Management System (QMS), defines how we meet the needs and requirements of our customers through effective and efficient processes to enhance customer satisfaction, and discharge our responsibilities as a National Metrology Institute.
- This policy, and the Quality Management System, also defines how we ensure the organisation's operation and delivery remains fit for purpose through continual improvement.
- For NPL, quality means: efficiently producing consistent and effective outputs resulting in positive impact and benefits for the UK.
- This policy applies to all NPL employees and those working for, with and/or on behalf of NPL.
- Policy Statements
- Our Mission is: to provide the measurement capability that underpins the UK's prosperity and quality of life.
- Our Vision is: to be an exemplary National Laboratory that undertakes excellent science and engineering and uses this to deliver extraordinary impact for the UK.
- We shall pursue our Mission and Vision, as well as our Values (as defined in our People Policy) and approach to delivering Impact from Science (as defined in our Business Policy) through the implementation of a Quality Management System, involving all staff members, which will require us to:
- Be aware of the role and objectives of the Laboratory and how our functions contribute to them
- Recognise that our work is undertaken for customers, internal and external, whose needs we should understand and meet
- Ensure that our products and services meet all applicable statutory and regulatory requirements
- Work to the highest professional standards supported by written procedures and monitored against explicit criteria of quality
- Seek and receive the necessary training to ensure we are competent to deliver the outputs and outcomes required
- As the UK's National Metrology Institute (NMI), we are charged with developing and disseminating the UK's measurement standards. To do this we:
Develops and maintains the nation's measurement infrastructure
Supports a system of traceable measurement throughout the UK and the world
Ensures accurate and consistent measurements that enable effective trade; and
Share our expertise with government, business and society to enhance economic performance and quality of life
- We shall provide our customers with products and services which meets the requirements of ISO 17025:2017 (calibration and testing), ISO 17034:2016 or ISO 17043:2010 where accredited, and/or ISO 9001 and TickITplus, as applicable.
- We shall promote a collective commitment to good professional practice and continual improvement in the quality of our products, services and work. The actions necessary for improvement shall be implemented and their effectiveness shall be monitored. We shall be aware that responsibility for awareness of and compliance with the quality system rests in the first place with everyone. We shall familiarise ourselves with the documentation and implement the corporate policies, processes and procedures in our work.
- As a Government Arm’s-Length body, we shall comply with the Government Functional Standards and use the Three Lines of Assurance from Orange Book to implement a risk-based approach.
- Regardless of the type of work undertaken, we shall comply with NPL's Quality Management System.
- Managers and Leaders shall ensure that customer needs and expectations are determined, converted into requirements, and fulfilled with the aim of achieving customer satisfaction within the bounds of statutory and legal requirements.
- All NPL employees and those working for, with and/or on behalf of NPL are responsible for the quality of their work and for satisfying their customers' requirements, stated and implied, and all relevant statutory and regulatory requirements.
- References and related documents
- External References and related documents:
- Certificates of accreditation ISO 17025:2017 (calibration and testing)
- Certificate of accreditation ISO 17034:2016
- Certificate of accreditation ISO 17043:2010
- Certificate of registration including registered activities ISO 9001:2015
- Certificate of registration for TickITplus including registered activities ISO 9001:TickITplus
- Government Functional Standards (Functional Standards - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk))
- Orange Book - GOC.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Internal References and related documents:
- People Policy NPLPolicy/04
- Business Policy NPLPolicy/06
This policy is authorised by Peter Thompson, Chief Executive Officer, on 21/12/2023 and is in force from this date.