Measure and validate precision components
Micro-scale components are increasingly found in critical applications within the automotive, aerospace and medical industries. NPL has a service based upon a commercially available, small component coordinate measuring machine (CMM) for measuring and validating these precision components. The CMM has been designed specifically for the measurement of small, delicate parts.
Precision machine drives and kinematics, combined with high accuracy probing systems enables us to achieve an accuracy of 250 nm within a measurement volume of 100 mm × 100 mm × 100 mm. The CMM is equipped with both touch and optical sensors to allow contact and non-contact measurements to be performed either independently or in combination within the same co-ordinate system.
Key features of CMM
Touch scanning probe (3D)
- Single point and scanning operation
- 125 µm or 300 µm diameter probe ball
- Low probing force (0.5 mN)
- CMM specification (0.25 + L/666) µm (L = measuring length in mm)
- 100 mm × 100 mm × 100 mm measurement volume
Optical probe (2D)
- ViScan camera sensor combined with high quality objective lens (x10)
- µCMM specification (0.4 + L/666) µm
- Can be used in conjunction with touch probe
We offer a bespoke measurement service for customers who require high accuracy measurement of artefacts or components. Our measurement capability includes:
- Dimension, form, position, orientation (including uncertainty of measurement)
- Measurement of artefacts from a CAD model
- Customer-defined measurements Interpretation of drawings and dimensional tolerances
- Consultancy on best measurement practice
Typical measurement applications include automotive, aerospace and medical microsystem components, micro-channels and nozzles, micro-wave components, micro-optical components, micro-injection molded components and injection moulds and high aspect ratio micro-structures.