Olga Kazakova is an NPL Fellow in Quantum Materials and Sensors. She joined NPL in 2002 after working as an Assistant Professor at the Chalmers University of Technology (Gothenburg, Sweden). Olga is a Fellow of the Institute of Physics and a visiting professor at University of Manchester. She is an author of about 190 peer-refereed publications and has delivered over 70 invited talks and seminars. Olga is actively involved in the Materials for Quantum Network (M4QN), being a Chair of the Spin & Topology Material Interest Group and an Executive Committee representative. She is also a member of several industrial advisory boards in the UK.
She has been a recipient of the numerous national and international awards, including Intel European Research and Innovation Award (2008), NPL Rayleigh Award and Serco Global Pulse Award (2011).
Olga is an active member of the IEEE Magnetic Society and is currently serving as an Associate Chair of the Conference Executive Committee. She is an active member of the UK Materials for Quantum network, being a Chair of the Spin & Topology Material Interest Group and an Executive Committee representative.
She has a vast editorial and conference organisation experience and has a broad collaborative network, including organisations in the UK, Europe, United States, China and Japan.
Olga has profound research experience in nanotechnology, quantum materials, low loss electronics, and the development of novel sensors. She has a strong experience in project and team management, supervision and coaching.
Areas of interest
- Functional (electronic, optical, magnetic, thermal) nanoscale properties of quantum materials
- Advanced Scanning Probe Microscopy techniques
- Novel environmental sensors and sensors for Life Science applications
- Development of magnetic nanosensors for biological and metrological applications
- Standardisation methods and protocols for magnetic nanoparticles and their biomedical applications
- Standardisation methods for electrical characterisation of graphene and 2D materials
Selected recent publications:
- C. Barton, … and O. Kazakova, Radially dependent stray field signature of chiral magnetic skyrmions, Phys. Rev. B, Phys. Rev. B 108, 104409 (2023)
- T. Vincent, K. Kawahara, V. Antonov, H. Ago, and O. Kazakova, ‘Data cluster analysis and machine learning for classification of twisted bilayer graphene’ Carbon 201, 141 (2023)
- S. Gonzalez-Munoz, …. O. Kazakova, A. Patanè, and O. V. Kolosov, ‘Direct Measurements of Anisotropic Thermal Transport in γ-InSe Nanolayers via Cross-Sectional Scanning Thermal Microscopy’ Advanced Materials Interfaces, 10, 2300081 (2023)
- R. Puttock, …., and O. Kazakova, ‘Local Thermoelectric Response from a Single Néel Domain Wall’ Science Advances 8, eadc9798 (2022).
- A. Weston, …. O. Kazakova, A. K. Geim, V. I. Fal’ko, and R. Gorbachev ‘Interfacial ferroelectricity in marginally twisted 2D semiconductors’ Nature Nano 17, 390 (2022)
- R. Puttock, I. M. Andersen, C. Gatel, M. Rosamond, E. Snoeck, and O. Kazakova, ‘Defect-induced monopole injection and manipulation in artificial spin ice’ Nature Comms 13, 3641 (2022)
- T. Vincent, J. Liang, S. Singh, E. G. Castanon, X. Zhang, A. McCreary, D. Jariwala, O. Kazakova, and Z. Y. Al Balushi, ‘Opportunities in Electrically Tunable 2D Materials Beyond Graphene: Recent Progress and Future Outlook’ Applied Physics Reviews 8, 041320 (2021)
- A. F. Scarioni, C. Barton, H. Corte-León, S. Sievers, X. Hu, F. Ajejas, W. Legrand, N. Reyren, V. Cros, O. Kazakova, and H. W. Schumacher, ‘Thermoelectric signature of individual skyrmions’ Phys Rev Lett 126, 077202 (2021)
- A. McCreary, O. Kazakova, D. Jariwala, and Z. Y. Al Balushi, ‘An outlook into the flat land of 2D materials beyond graphene: synthesis, properties and device applications’. 2D Materials 8, 013001 (2020)
- T. Vincent, M. Hamer, I. Grigorieva, A. Tzalenchuk, and O. Kazakova, ‘Strongly Absorbing Nanoscale Infrared Domains within Strained Bubbles at hBN-Graphene Interfaces’ ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 12, 57638 (2020)
- D. Buckley, Z. R. Kudrynskyi, N. Balakrishnan, T. Vincent, E. Castanon, Z. D. Kovalyuk, O. Kolosov, O. Kazakova, A. Tzalenchuk, and A. Patanè, ‘Anomalous low thermal conductivity of atomically thin InSe probed by scanning thermal microscopy’. Advanced Functional Materials (2020)
- D. J. Buckley, N. C. G. Black, E. G. Castanon, C. Melios, M. Hardman, and Olga Kazakova, ‘Frontiers of graphene and 2D material-based gas sensors for environmental monitoring’ 2D Materials 7, 032002 (2020)
- Ch. Melios, …. O. Kazakova, ‘Towards standardisation of contact and contactless electrical measurements of CVD graphene at the macro-, micro- and nano-scale’ Sci Reports 10, 3223 (2020)
- A. Sola, V. Basso, M. Pasquale, C. Dubs, C. Barton, and O. Kazakova, ‘Local spin Seebeck imaging with scanning thermal probe’. Physical Review Applied 14, 034056 (2020)
- O. Kazakova, R. Puttock, C. Barton, H. Corte-León, M. Jaafar, V. Neu, and A. Asenjo, ‘Frontiers of Magnetic Force Microscopy’ J Appl. Phys. 125, 060901 (2019)
- S. Ulstrup, C. E. Giusca, …. O. Kazakova, et al., ‘Nanoscale patterning of quasiparticle band alignment’ Nature Communication 10, 3283 (2019)
More publications from Olga Kazakova can be found here: