Nick Ridler is the Head of Science for NPL’s Electromagnetic & Electrochemical Technologies Department. He is an internationally-renowned expert in precision high-frequency electromagnetic measurements (from RF to terahertz frequencies), authoring or co-authoring over 200 publications in this field, and has over 35 years' experience working in industrial, government and academic research establishments. He is a Fellow of the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), IET (Institution of Engineering and Technology), and IOP (Institute of Physics).
He is a Visiting Professor at the Universities of Leeds (School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering), Liverpool (Department of Electrical Engineering and Electronics) and Surrey (Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences). He is also a Non-Executive Director of LA Techniques Ltd (a UK SME based in Surbiton, Surrey) and Director of n3m-labs (the joint NPL/University of Surrey 'Nonlinear Microwave Measurement and Modelling Laboratories').
Nick has twice been the recipient of the IET Measurement Prize (in 1995 and 2005) and holds nine Best Paper awards from international scientific conferences. He takes lead roles in several international activities in this area, including:
Nick's main area of interest is precision electromagnetic metrology in support of next-generation information and communications technologies and high-frequency electronics applications. This includes measurements at millimetre-wave and terahertz frequencies; nonlinear microwave network analysis; and, RF measurements on Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs).
1. “Polymer-based 3-D Printed Ku-band Steerable Phased-Array Antenna Subsystem”, S-H. Shin, D. Alyasiri, M. D’Auria, W.J. Otter, C.W. Myant, D. Stokes, Z. Tian, N.M. Ridler, S. Lucyszyn. IEEE Access. Available on IEEE Xplore, Early Access (2019)
2. “A Comparative Study of On-wafer and Waveguide Module S-Parameter Measurements at D-band Frequencies”, R. Lozar, M. Ohlrogge, R. Weber, N.M. Ridler, X. Shang, T. Probst, U. Arz, IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech.. (2019)
3. “Microwave Characterization of Low-loss FDM 3-D Printed ABS with Dielectric-filled Metal-pipe Rectangular Waveguide Spectroscopy”, J. Sun, A. Dawood, W.J. Otter, N.M. Ridler, S. Lucyszyn, IEEE Access, 7(1):95455-95486 (2019)
4. “Breathable E-Textile Proven for RF Wearable Apps”, M. D’Auria, J. Greenwood, C. Hunt, M.J. Salter, N.M. Ridler, Microwaves & RF, 58(5):74-80 (2019)
5. "Strategies for Traceable Submillimeter-wave Vector Network Analyzer Measurements", N.M. Ridler, R.G. Clarke, C. Li, M.J. Salter, IEEE Trans. Terahertz Sci. Technol., 9(4):392-398 (2019)
6. "Propagating Measurement Uncertainty to Microwave Amplifier Nonlinear Behavioral Models", L.T. Stant, M.J. Salter, N.M. Ridler, D.F. Williams, P.H. Aaen, IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., 67(2):815-821 (2019)
7. "Establishing a new form of primary impedance standard at millimeter-wave frequencies", Y. Azeez, R.J. Collier, N.M. Ridler, P.R. Young, IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., 68(1):294-296 (2019)
8. "A New SOLT Calibration Method for Leaky On-wafer Measurements Using a 10-term Error Model", C. Liu, A. Wu, C. Li, N.M. Ridler, IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., 66(8):3894-3900 (2018)
9. "An Active Interferometric Method for Extreme Impedance On-Wafer Device Measurements", H. Votsi, C. Li, P.H. Aaen, N.M. Ridler, IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., 27(11): 1034-1036 (2017)
10. "Metrology State-of-the-Art and Challenges in Broadband Phase-Sensitive Terahertz Measurements", M. Naftaly, R.G. Clarke, D.A. Humphreys, N.M. Ridler, Proc. IEEE, 105(6):1151-1165 (2017)
11. "3-D printed 1.1 THz waveguides", W.J. Otter, N.M. Ridler, H. Yasukochi, K. Soeda, K. Konishi, J. Yumoto, M. Kuwata-Gonokami, S. Lucyszyn, IET Electron. Lett., 53(7):471-473 (2017)
12. "Evaluating Residual Errors in Waveguide Network Analysers from Microwave to Submillimetre-wave Frequencies", L.T. Stant, P.H. Aaen, N.M. Ridler, IET Microw. Antennas Propag., 11(3):324-329 (2017)
13. "The 2017 Terahertz Science and Technology Roadmap", 46 co-authors, J. Phys. D, 50(4):043001 (49pp) (2017)
14. "3-D Printed Variable Phase Shifter", B. Gillatt, M. D’Auria, W.J. Otter, N.M. Ridler, S. Lucyszyn, IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., 26(10): 822-824 (2016)
15. "Comparing methods for evaluating measurement uncertainty given in the JCGM ‘Evaluation of Measurement Data’ documents", L.T. Stant, P.H. Aaen, N.M. Ridler, Measurement, 94:847-851 (2016)
16. "Evaluation of cross-connected waveguides as transfer standards of transmission at high millimetre-wave frequencies", N.M. Ridler, R.G. Clarke, H. Huang, S. Zinal, Metrologia, 53(4):1069-1078 (2016)
17. "Intercomparison of Terahertz Dielectric Measurements Using Vector Network Analyzer and Time-Domain Spectrometer", M. Naftaly, N. Shoaib, D Stokes, N.M. Ridler, J. Infrared Milli. Terahz. Waves, 37(7):691-702 (2016)
18. "Establishing Traceability to the International System of Units for Scattering Parameter Measurements from 750 GHz to 1.1 THz", N.M. Ridler, R.G. Clarke, IEEE Trans. Terahertz Sci. Technol., 6(1):2-11 (2016)