Murat Cubukcu is a Senior Scientist in Low-Loss Electronics developing next-generation, low-power computing with zero-carbon (e.g. spintronics-based neuromorphic computing). Murat also holds an honorary Professor position at University College London (UCL). His research experience of over 15 years ranges from fundamental physics to more application-driven projects leading to major contributions in fields such as Spin-Orbitronics (e.g. Spin-Orbit Torque (SOT), Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction, skyrmions), spin current injection in nanostructures (e.g. 2D materials, semiconductors, superconductors) and magnetic random access memory (MRAM), for future spintronic technologies.
Murat has been trained as physicist at the Unité mixte de Physique CNRS/Thales in the group of Prof Albert Fert (Nobel Laureate, 2007), and he got his PhD at the Paris Institute of Nanosciences of the Sorbonne University with a thesis about magnetic anisotropy in ferromagnetic semiconductor ultrathin films. This work focuses on the control of the magnetic state of semiconductor nanostructures for the development of spintronic devices. After his PhD, he carried out several post-doctoral research projects at various world-leading academic research laboratories, e.g. Spintec Lab of the CEA/CNRS, Unité mixte de Physique CNRS/Thales, Cavendish Lab of the University of Cambridge, London Center for Nanotechnology of the UCL, before joining NPL in 2020.
Murat’s work has led to several high-impact publications in international journals (over 30 publications). He has presented and co-authored several invited and contributed talks and seminars at major international conferences and at EU institutions. A highlight of his recent work was that he was the first to demonstrate a proof of concept of a next-generation, ultra-fast and energy-efficient magnetic memory device, called SOT-MRAM, published in APL. This new memory architecture is based on a novel technique of writing cells (using the spin-orbit coupling) capable of solving the intrinsic limitations inherent in MRAM whether written by magnetic field or current (STT-MRAM). This paper has been already cited over 400 times and described as one of the highly cited, rising star paper and most read article.
Selected recent publications
- “Memristor, Spintronics and 2D-materials-based devices to improve and complement computing hardware”, Advanced Intelligent Systems, 2200068, (2022) D. Joksas, A. AlMutairi, O. Lee, M. Cubukcu, A. Lombardo, H. Kurebayashi, A. J. Kenyon, A. Mehonic
- “Tailoring interfacial effect in thin films with Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction by helium ion irradiation’’, Scientific Reports 11, 23626 (2021) A. Sud, S. Tacchi, D. Sagkovits, C. Barton, M. Sall, L. H. Diez, E. Stylianidis, N. Smith, L. Wright, S. Zhang, X. Zhang, D. Ravelosona, G. Carlotti, H. Kurebayashi, O. Kazakova, and M. Cubukcu
- “Long spin diffusion lengths in doped conjugated polymers due to enhanced exchange coupling’’, Nature Electronics 2, 98–107 (2019) S.J. Wang, D. Venkateshvaran, M. Cubukcu, I. McCulloch, J. Wunderlich, J. Sinova, H. Sirringhaus
- “Ultra-fast perpendicular spin-orbit torque MRAM’’, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 54, 4 (2018) M. Cubukcu, O. Boulle, N. Mikuszeit, C. Hamelin, T. Brächer, N. Lamard, M.C. Cyrille, L. Buda-Prejbeanu, K. Garello, I.M. Miron, O. Klein, G. De Loubens, V.V. Naletov, J. Langer, B. Ocker, P. Gambardella, G. Gaudin
- “Electrical nucleation and detection of single 360° Néel domain wall measured using the anomalous Nernst effect’’, Appl. Phys. Lett., 112, 262409 (2018) M. Cubukcu, D. Venkateshvaran, A. Wittmann, S.-J. Wang, R. Di Pietro, S. Auffret, L. Vila, J. Wunderlich, H. Sirringhaus
- “Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya anisotropy in nanomagnets with in-plane magnetization’’, Phys. Rev. B (Rapid communication), 93, 020401 (R) (2016) M. Cubukcu, J. Sampaio, K. Bouzehouane, D. Apalkov, A. V. Khvalkovskiy, V. Cros, N. Reyren
- “Ferromagnetic Tunnel Contacts to Graphene: Contact Resistance and Spin Signal’’, J. of Appl. Phys., 117, 083909 (2015) M. Cubukcu, M.-B. Martin, P. Laczkowski, C. Vergnaud, A. Marty, J.-P. Attané, P. Seneor, A. Anane, C. Deranlot, A. Fert, C. Ducruet, L. Notin, S. Auffret, L. Vila, M. Jamet,
- “Spin-orbit torque magnetization switching of a three-terminal perpendicular magnetic tunnel junction’’, Appl. Phys. Lett., 104, 042406 (2014) M. Cubukcu, O. Boulle, M. Drouard, I.M. Miron, C.O. Avci, K. Garello, J. Langer, B. Ocker, P. Gambardella, G. Gaudin
- “Crossover from Spin Accumulation into Interface States to Spin Injection in the Germanium Conduction Band’’, Phys. Rev. Lett., 109, 106603 (2012) A. Jain, J.-C. Rojas Sanchez, M. Cubukcu, H. Jaffrès, J.-M. George, M. Jamet
Further information can be found at: