Maurice Cox is an Emeritus Senior Fellow in NPL’s Data Science Department. He received a BSc in Applied Mathematics from City University, London, and a PhD in Numerical Analysis (spline functions) also from City University.
Maurice spent eight years at the General Electric Company, mainly as a consultant mathematician, and has worked at NPL since 1968. He is currently a consultant to the company with research interests including mathematical and statistical modelling, measurement uncertainty evaluation, algorithm development and numerical analysis. He is particularly concerned with generic approaches to the evaluation of measurement uncertainty and methods for the evaluation of interlaboratory comparison data. He has much experience in applying these approaches to diverse fields.
Since the 1990s, Maurice has made major contributions to supplements to the Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement (GUM) and other related guides through his membership of the Joint Committee for Guides in Metrology (JCGM). Maurice led a European project EMUE (2018 – 2021) concerned with establishing some 40 worked examples of measurement uncertainty evaluation to meet a widely expressed need. The examples cover many sectors, energy, environment, quality of life, industry and society, that are supporting the work of the JCGM and some 10 standards committees. These examples are available in compendium form.
Maurice chairs or is a member of a number of national and international committees and working groups, namely, British Standards Committee SS/6 on Statistical procedures for measurement methods and results and Panel SS/6/-/3 on Measurement Uncertainty, and International Standards Organization ISO/TC 69/SC 6/WG 7 on Statistical methods to support measurement uncertainty evaluation. He also chairs BIPM Director's Advisory Group on Measurement Uncertainty. Maurice is JCGM liaison for ISO/TC 69, Application of statistical methods.
Maurice received a leadership award from BSI in 2021 relating to his 17 years’ convenorship of SS/6, Statistical procedures for measurement methods and results.
Maurice is a Fellow and founder member of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications. He is also a Chartered Mathematician and a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society. Maurice has a visiting professorship in Computational Mathematics at Kingston University,
Maurice has published some 300 peer-reviewed papers and reports
- Mathematical modelling, especially applied to measurement science
- Generic approaches for measurement uncertainty evaluation
- Statistical evaluation of interlaboratory comparison data
- Numerical analysis, especially related to mathematical models in physics, chemistry and biology
- Preparation of International Standards and Guides to support ISO, JCGM, and the Consultative Committees of the CIPM
- Modelling and uncertainty evaluation to support climate science.
Selected recent papers
- Maurice Cox and Anthony O'Hagan. Meaningful expression of uncertainty in measurement. Accreditation and Quality Assurance, 2022, DOI 10.1007/s00769-021-01485-5.
- Katy Klauenberg, Steffen Martens, Alen Bošnjaković, Maurice G. Cox, Adriaan M.H. van der Veen, and Clemens Elster. The GUM perspective on straight-line errors-in-variables regression. Metrologia, page 110340, 2021.
- Adriaan M. H. van der Veen and Maurice G. Cox. Getting started with uncertainty evaluation using the Monte Carlo method in R. Accreditation and Quality Assurance, 2021.
- Zicheng Liu, Djamel Allal, Maurice Cox, and Joe Wiart. Discrepancies of measured SAR between traditional and fast measuring systems. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(6):2111, 2020.
- Katsuhiro Shirono and Maurice Cox. Statistical reassessment of calibration and measurement capabilities based on key comparison results. Metrologia, 56(4):045001, 2019
- Jonathan I. Gear, Maurice G. Cox, Johan Gustafsson, Katarina Sjögreen Gleisner, Iain Murray, Gerhard Glatting, Mark Konijnenberg, and Glenn D. Flux. EANM practical guidance on uncertainty analysis for molecular radiotherapy absorbed dose calculations. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, 2018
- Katsuhiro Shirono and Maurice G. Cox. Analysis of a regional metrology organization key comparison: Preliminary consistency check of the linking-laboratory data with the CIPM key comparison reference value. In Series on Advances in Mathematics for Applied Sciences, pages pages 324-331. World Scientific, 2018.
- Katsuhiro Shirono and Maurice Cox. Unilateral degree of equivalence maximizing the power of test in an analysis of a regional metrology organization key comparison. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1065:212006, 2018.
- M Cox and K Shirono. Informative Bayesian Type A uncertainty evaluation, especially applicable to a small number of observations. Metrologia, 54(5):642-652, 2017.
- Walter Bich, Maurice Cox, and Carine Michotte. Towards a new GUM-an update. Metrologia, 53(5):S149, 2016
- M. D'Arienzo, M. Cazzato, M.L. Cozzella, M. Cox, M. D'Andrea, A. Fazio, A. Fenwick, G. Iaccarino, L. Johansson, L. Strigari, S. Ungania, and P. De Felice. Gamma camera calibration and validation for quantitative SPECT imaging with ^177 Lu. Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 112:156-164, 2016.
- Marco D'Arienzo, Marco Capogni, V Smyth, Maurice Cox, Lena Johansson, Andrew Fenwick, Solc J, Bobin C, Rabus H, and L Joulaeizadeh. Internal dose assessment in molecular radiotherapy: Time for an agreed dosimetry protocol? Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics, 32:103-104, 2016.
- M D'Arienzo, ML Cozzella, A Fazio, S Ungania, M Cazzato, G Iaccarino, M D'Andrea, L Strigari, A Fenwick, M Cox, et al. Absolute gamma camera calibration for quantitative SPECT imaging with 177Lu. Physica Medica, 32:114, 2016.
- E. R. Woolliams, K. Anhalt, M. Ballico, P. Bloembergen, F. Bourson, S. Briaudeau, J. Campos, M. G. Cox, D. del Campo, W. Dong, M. R. Dury, V. Gavrilov, I. Grigoryeva, M. L. Hernanz, F. Jahan, B. Khlevnoy, V. Khromchenko, D. H. Lowe, X. Lu, G. Machin, J. M. Mantilla, M. J. Martin, H. C. McEvoy, B. Rougié, M. Sadli, S. G. R. Salim, N. Sasajima, D. R. Taubert, A. D. W. Todd, R. Van den Bossche, E. van der Ham, T. Wang, A. Whittam, B. Wilthan, D. J. Woods, J. T. Woodward, Y. Yamada, Y. Yamaguchi, H. W. Yoon, and Z. Yuan. Thermodynamic temperature assignment to the point of inflection of the melting curve of high-temperature fixed points. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 374(2064),2016.
- Maurice Cox and Peter Harris. Polynomial calibration functions revisited: numerical and statistical issues. In F. Pavese, A.B. Forbes, A.G. Chunovkina, W. Bremser, and N. Fischer, editors, Advanced Mathematical and Computational Tools in Metrology X, Series on Advances in Mathematics for Applied Sciences, pages 9-16. World Scientific, 2015.