- What is the length of a 1 second pendulum?
- What is the best thing to make a bob from?
- Why are some pendulums better than others?
Estimated time: 30 minutes.
No previous experience required.
- A ruler or measuring tape
- A support – we used a book overhanging a worksurface
- A rod (e.g. pencil or chopstick), to hang the string from
- Clip or peg to make easy adjustments of string on rod
- 50 cm length of string
- A weight (bob) e.g. holed stone or Lego.
- A timer – (e.g. stopwatch on phone or web).
- Paper and pencil to record result.
- Optional weighing scales to measure bob mass.
Take care heavy bobs don’t break the string or fall on your feet.