Expert advice and support
NPL offers consultancy services via our world-leading facilities and specialist expertise spanning all aspects of dimensional and angle measurements, from the picometre to hundreds of metres.
Our consultancy includes:
- Identification of appropriate techniques to undertake complex measurements and development of optimised strategies in the design for inspection.
- Understanding and optimising the performance of measurement equipment, including the creation and maintenance of bespoke reference artefacts.
- A comprehensive suite of training courses to up-skill staff on state-of-the-art measurement, inspection and analysis techniques - these can also be tailored to optimise the content relevance and delivery method (i.e. on-site and on-the-job).
- Problem solving, rapid identification of the root cause and subsequent identification of preventative actions to enable product or measurement improvements.
- Identification and application of best practices and relevant standards.
Our facilities enable measurements traceable to internationally agreed standards. From our highest resolution measuring system based on X-ray interferometry (20 picometre accuracy) to our large volume long range capability (10s to 100s of metres), we provide the fundamental length measurement infrastructure for the UK. We offer the most accurate and authoritative measurements in the UK, including quantified uncertainty as required. We maintain the UK National Standards that are validated through international comparisons.
Our measurement experts cover complementary disciplines and are available to help clarify requirements, interpret and analyse results. We have an internationally recognised track record of high-value problem solving and an active research programme in support of UK manufacturing, science, engineering and the metrology community. Operating as a National Measurement Institute, we offer trusted and impartial advice plus a commitment to providing the right measurement solution.
We also offer a Measurement For Manufacturers support service identifying where best practice measurement techniques can be implemented in the manufacturing environment - delivering tangible improvements in competitiveness, efficiency and, most importantly, customer confidence.