Latest science posters from NPL
- As part of a UK Technology Strategy Board supported project on the Advanced Surface Protection to Enable Carbon abatement Technologies (ASPECT) the use of aluminium diffusion coatings to protect autenitic steels from steam oxidation has been assessed.
- The measurement of beam propagation parameters is essential for the wide ranging use of lasers in industry, medicine and academia.
- This poster describes a method of visualising the intensity distribution generated by physiotherapy ultrasound equipment, which uses novel tiles which capture the distribution of heating.
- The NPL Zeiss Auriga 60 focused ion beam scanning electron microscope (FIB-SEM) is a major facility for 3D microstructural characterisation of materials.
- NPL has developed a laser-based acoustic mapping technique, collaborating with PMC loudspeakers to adapt the technique into a valuable design tool.
Ever since opening in 1900, NPL has strived to deliver the highest social and economic impact through world-class measurement science, innovative applied research and knowledge services.
NPL maintains a wide portfolio of internationally visible research programmes that advance measurement science, underpin the SI system of measurement units and support various cross-disciplinary technologies.
Over 500 scientists are employed across almost every discipline, from physicists to biochemists, and mathematicians to materials scientists. These passionate people deliver solutions to a wide range of problems for government, industry and other organisations, often well beyond the scope of measurement science.
Research activities are housed in a state-of-the-art building providing 36,000 m² of custom-designed laboratories and support facilities. This enables the highest precision measurements to be realised, many of which exploit effects at the atomic level.
Collaboration is fundamental to much of NPL's research and scientists work with UK and international universities, as well as with other National Measurement Institutes and companies, from small start-ups to large multi-national corporations.
For more information on our work with commercial organisations, please visit the Commercial Services pages.
Science quality at NPL is monitored internally by our Chief Scientist, key scientists, and Knowledge Leaders, and externally via regular visits from the Royal Society and Royal Academy of Engineering
NPL Science areas
Latest Science lectures
- Presented by Richard Leach
- Presented by Justin Molloy
- Presented by Craig Underwood
- Presented by Bruce Drinkwater
- Presented by Andy Parker