Latest Science stories
Latest Science posters from NPL
- The effect of pressure on the oxidation rate and oxide scale morphology is the subject of continued research.
- Polymer electrolyte membrane water electrolysers (PEMWE) are a promising technology for renewable hydrogen production.
- Covering smart textile work at NPL.
- This poster describes the design and first measurements of the new defined solid angle alpha counter at the National Physical Laboratory
- Mapping of nanomechanical and electronic properties of quasi-free standing graphene
Ever since opening in 1900, NPL has strived to deliver the highest social and economic impact through world-class measurement science, innovative applied research and knowledge services.
NPL maintains a wide portfolio of internationally visible research programmes that advance measurement science, underpin the SI system of measurement units and support various cross-disciplinary technologies.
Over 500 scientists are employed across almost every discipline, from physicists to biochemists, and mathematicians to materials scientists. These passionate people deliver solutions to a wide range of problems for government, industry and other organisations, often well beyond the scope of measurement science.
Research activities are housed in a state-of-the-art building providing 36,000 m² of custom-designed laboratories and support facilities. This enables the highest precision measurements to be realised, many of which exploit effects at the atomic level.
Collaboration is fundamental to much of NPL's research and scientists work with UK and international universities, as well as with other National Measurement Institutes and companies, from small start-ups to large multi-national corporations.
For more information on our work with commercial organisations, please visit the Commercial Services pages.
Science quality at NPL is monitored internally by our Chief Scientist, key scientists, and Knowledge Leaders, and externally via regular visits from the Royal Society and Royal Academy of Engineering
NPL Science areas
Latest Science lectures
- Vicky Pope, Met Office
- Yury Andreev, National Tomsk State Research University
- Edward Davis
- Gregory Offer
- Franca Fraternali
Please note that the information will not be divulged to third parties, or used without your permission