- NPL's ultrasonics expertise covers calibration, research, knowledge transfer, and products and services.
- Underwater acoustics is a key underpinning technology in offshore oil and gas activities, is increasingly used in oceanographic and environmental studies, and continues to play a crucial role in defence.
- Unique underwater acoustics measurement capability includes two open test tanks that provide a flexible approach to the most demanding testing requirements.
- Calibrations of the free-field sensitivity of miniature hydrophones of the type used to characterise medical ultrasonic fields.
NPL provides world-class standards for measurement and calibration, and key expertise in measurement related research and development covering the fields of sound-in-air, ultrasonics and underwater acoustics.
We have purpose built facilities including reverberation and free-field rooms, environmental test facilities, open laboratory tanks and water sites for underwater measurement. Our leading measurement scientists additionally provide tailored training courses in various aspects of acoustics and are able to develop bespoke systems and products to solve industrial measurement problems.
NPL's Ultrasound & Underwater Acoustics team supports hospitals and clinics, occupational and environmental health, and offshore marine activities.
Tel: 020 8943 8631
News & Featured Projects
- An ultrasound breast imaging system developed in collaboration with NPL has been shortlisted for the Collaborate to Innovate award.
- A new method to trap microbubbles will help to study their properties for potential medical and sensing applications.
- The prize for the best poster at the annual NPL Science Poster Fair was shared by two posters.
- The first prototype ultrasound sensors for a new improved breast screening technique have been developed as part of an NPL-led collaboration.
- NPL has developed the first method for remotely measuring free-field sound pressure with direct traceability to fundamental SI base units for acoustic frequencies up to 20 kHz.
- NPL develops a tool to visualise an important aspect of the performance of treatment heads used in physiotherapy ultrasound.
- NPL has developed a laser-based acoustic mapping technique, collaborating with PMC loudspeakers to adapt the technique into a valuable design tool.
- Laser technique makes acoustic free-field pressure measurements for the first time at NPL.
- New ultrasonic breast cancer screening technique developed by NPL performs well in initial trial.
- NPL worked with Silixa to characterise the world's first truly distributed optical fibre acoustic sensor.
Please note that the information will not be divulged to third parties, or used without your permission