MSF Scheduled Maintenance Periods
The MSF 60 kHz standard-frequency and time signal, broadcast by Babcock on behalf of NPL, is occasionally taken off-air to allow maintenance work on the masts and antennas at Anthorn Radio Station to be carried out in safety. This means that your radio-controlled clock will not be picking up the MSF signal, so may not be working correctly.
The dates and times of the forthcoming scheduled maintenance periods are as follows:
- 13 March 2014 from 10:00 UTC to 14:00 UTC
- 12 June 2014 from 10:00 BST to 14:00 BST
- 11 September 2014 from 10:00 BST to 14:00 BST
- 11 December 2014 from 10:00 UTC to 14:00 UTC
- 12 March 2015 from 10:00 UTC to 14:00 UTC
- 11 June 2015 from 10:00 BST to 14:00 BST
- 10 September 2015 from 10:00 BST to 14:00 BST
- 10 December 2015 from 10:00 UTC to 14:00 UTC
The duration of each outage period will be kept to a minimum, and the signal may be back on-air prior to the times given above.
In addition to these dates, the signal is likely to be taken off-air for a two-day period during July or August each year, remaining off-air overnight. The dates of this longer outage will be announced on this page and by e-mailed notices to registered users as soon as they are known.
If you wish to be kept informed about planned outages, please complete and submit the E-mailed Notifications of Scheduled Maintenance Periods form.
Unscheduled Breaks in the Service
Short unscheduled breaks in transmission occur occasionally in addition to the scheduled breaks for maintenance. NPL provides a recorded message service (Tel +44 20 8943 6493), which announces planned maintenance periods and, during working hours, prolonged unscheduled outages.
Find out more about the MSF Radio Time Signal