Products & Services
- MiFID II’s clock synchronisation rules have given the buy-side plenty to think about.
- NPL's Quantum Metrology Institute was at the launch of the Blackett review on quantum technologies.
- A customer survey carried out by researchers reveals the impact of measurement service.
- A newly established fibre optical link will allow for the comparison of optical clocks across Europe.
- Patrick Gill was formally admitted to the Fellowship at the annual Admissions Day ceremony in Carlton House Terrace.
The Time & Frequency Group is responsible for operating the national time scale UTC(NPL) and disseminating time throughout the UK. Our caesium fountain primary frequency standard measures the SI second at the highest accuracy, and we contribute to the generation of the world's reference time scale UTC. We also maintain and disseminate another of the seven base SI units: the metre.
We carry out a broad programme of research in time and frequency metrology. A major activity is the development and characterisation of a new generation of optical atomic clocks based on laser-cooled trapped ions and atoms, which may lead to a future redefinition of the SI second. Potential applications of these clocks range from improved satellite navigation systems to sensitive tests of fundamental physical theories.
Other areas of current research include the development of compact and user-friendly frequency standards for industrial applications and unique algorithms for processing clock data to generate the most stable reference time scales achievable.
National Time Scale
NPL's Peter Whibberley discusses the National Time Scale
Please note that the information will not be divulged to third parties, or used without your permission