- NPL has two stands at the Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition 2015.
- ReUSE (Recyclable, Unzippable Sustainable Electronics) and its follow-on project ERICE (Electronics Recycling in a Circular Economy) have been shortlisted for the Business Green Leaders 'Innovation of the Year' award.
- Chris Hunt has taken over the Chairmanship of IEC TC 91: Electronics assembly technology, as of the beginning of March 2015, for a period of six years.
- Improving manufacturability and lifetime prediction of plastic electronics systems.
- A novel approach towards integrated electronics has the potential to exploit new opportunities in the textile market.
- NPL research is focused upon characterising nano-interconnects for electronic applications.
- NPL is at the forefront of activities in the UK to investigate technical and implementation challenges facing the industry changing from Sn/Pb solders to the lead-free alternatives.
- NPL research is focused upon developing solderability testing of lead-free alloys in both air and inert (N2) atmospheres.
Electrical interconnects are an intrinsic part of any electronic system. The interconnect has to perform on a wide range of substrates and under wide range of environmental conditions, and survive induced stresses from thermal, mechanical, corrosive and electrical factors. In many instances the capability of the interconnect is a road block to realising the full performance of the functional circuit.
What we do
We investigate interconnect properties and develop metrological techniques to characterise performance, frequently in multiple domains. Our research is focused on the emerging technologies within printed electronics, harsh and high temperature electronics, wearable technology and electrochemical performance in coating barrier systems:
- Developing combinatorial mechanical, thermal and electrical measurement techniques, and inventing measurement instruments where necessary
- Developing measurement technology to characterise degradation by electrochemical corrosion in sub-micron aqueous films
- Developing microstructural and materials understanding to describe the properties in complex interfacial structures
- Developing metrology in smart textiles and printed electronics
Industry roadmaps and sustainability are driving technology into new material sets, whereas the PCB use to be plated copper and solder joints, all manner of substrates from paper to LCP, and interconnects from ink, adhesives and sintered nano-powders are being used. Operating conditions are becoming increasingly harsh, with higher temperatures, and corrosive gases. New innovations in smart textiles and labels call for metrology innovations. NPL is working with partners to provide the tools to move the industry forward.
Products & Services
- Solderability testing can be performed on solder pads or component terminations.
- Solvent Extract Conductivity (SEC) uses a mixture of isopropanol (IPA) and DI water to remove soluble contaminants from a sample PCB or PCA.
- NPL has three electron microscopes available for image analysis and elemental analysis.
Please note that the information will not be divulged to third parties, or used without your permission