NPL research in electronics interconnections is carried out in close collaboration with industry and is aimed at developing new test methods, guidelines and procedures for use in the assembly of microelectronics. The research is disseminated to industry by reports and industry advisory group meetings.
NPL has made considerable contributions to solderability testing, participating in the writing of IEC standard 68-2-69 and IPC J-Std 002 and 003.
Achieving high reliability is an increasingly critical issue in today's manufacture, now that very low defect levels in manufacture are obtainable. In order to keep up with the rapid developments in a global market, NPL offers a range of suitable measurement methods to refine the assembly process and thus remain competitive. Services offered include confidential advice, consultancy case studies in issues relevant to production reliability and a range of measurement service facilities.
Products & Services
- A new instrument, Interconnect Properties Test machine (IPTM), has been designed and built at NPL. IPTM, with a bespoke sample geometry, permits small solder volumes to be studied in pure shear.
- NPL has three electron microscopes available for image analysis and elemental analysis.
- Introduction of RoHS has lead to component manufacturers moving away from SnPb component termination finishes to pure Sn.
- Downloads of past EI webinars.
- Downloads of 2011 EI webinars.
- Downloads of 2012 EI webinars.
- Downloads of 2013 EI webinars.
- NPL's Electronic Interconnection Group will be presenting a series of technical webinars over the coming months.