The Centre for Carbon Measurement at NPL brings together academic and business partners with government and is designed to ensure that we can have confidence in the measurements we need to improve our understanding of the global climate, deliver policies for mitigating climate change, and accelerate the development of low carbon technologies.
Minister of State for Universities and Science
For us and our many industry partners, in and around a variety of sustainable technology fields, 'Carbon Metrology' presents an unparalleled opportunity for the UK to develop, exploit and sustain a technology lead, through the creation of novel measurement standards to underpin exploitation of new products.
Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Coventry University
Global climate change is one of the most challenging issues facing policy makers and industry today. Mitigation of and adaptation to climate change will require coordination and collaboration between science, business and governments.
The Centre for Carbon Measurement at NPL will build on NPL's capability, working with partners to address the following three areas:
News & Events
- Exergy Device's smart heating controller wins the Nesta Dynamic Demand Challenge prize.
- Jane Burston comments on Nesta's new Innovation report.
- NPL involved in European Commission scheme to help green products reach market through verification.
- New funding announced for NPL's work on Earth Observation from space.
- Jane Burston gave a public lecture at the University of Cumbria outlining the dangers in current attitudes to sustainability.
- NPL has launched a new mobile laboratory to detect and measure emissions that are harmful to the environment.