The Centre for Carbon Measurement at NPL brings together academic and business partners with government and is designed to ensure that we can have confidence in the measurements we need to improve our understanding of the global climate, deliver policies for mitigating climate change, and accelerate the development of low carbon technologies.
Minister of State for Universities and Science
The need for metrology in this area has never been more important. There needs to be a robust scientific foundation of carbon measurement to underpin decision-making if progress is to be made on national and international discussions to address the risk of climate change.
Dr Richard Busby
Environment Manager, E.ON
Global climate change is one of the most challenging issues facing policy makers and industry today. Mitigation of and adaptation to climate change will require coordination and collaboration between science, business and governments.
The Centre for Carbon Measurement at NPL will build on NPL's capability, working with partners to address the following three areas:
News & Events
- The winners of the first annual Centre for Carbon Measurement Schools Poster Challenge are announced.
- NPL scientists develop a new gas standard to accurately measure levels of carbon dioxide and methane in the atmosphere.
- DECC awards over £500,000 to the development of the Deep Green tidal power plant.
- Edinburgh workshop on Environmental Technology Verification held by the Centre for Carbon Measurement at NPL.
- Climate-KIC overview of the Dynamic Demand Challenge Prize supported by the Centre for Carbon Measurement.