As the UK’s National Metrology institute NPL have contributed to advancements in medical imaging across a number of disciplines and at the MIC event we will be showcasing a range of technologies highlighting the contribution NPL is making across medical imaging for disease diagnostics and treatment, including:
Using our measurement capability, NPL is continuing its work in the acceleration of new medical technologies to the clinic and supporting their commissioning, effectiveness and QA through independent assessment, measurement and calibration. NPL’s work is helping to grow the economic impact and competitiveness of UK medical imaging companies by carrying out measurement research to develop new capabilities in response to productivity challenges.
A few examples of the work that will be part of the NPL Medical Imaging exhibition for 2019 will include:
- Our work helping to shape the future of breast imaging for disease diagnosis through pioneering work in a new form of ultrasound imaging for breast disease detection which has the potential to transform breast cancer outcomes, especially for younger women. This method offers a safer alternative to X-ray, doesn’t require compression, and has the potential to produce more accurate images than traditional Ultrasound with fewer artefacts (false positives).
- NPL is working It is working closely with UK businesses of all sizes in the medical imaging and diagnosis sectors and across the healthcare supply chain. Through collaboration with Industry, University researchers and the NHS and supported by BEIS / ISTF funding NPL has led the development of a Medical Imaging Accelerator for Industry which has delivered a huge range of benefits to healthcare. Project examples have included:
- Making smart test phantoms, which mimic anatomical human tissue, for quality assuring imaging systems such as nuclear medicine and MRI machines
- Optimising the design of ultrasound probes to improve image quality
- Understanding and analysing imaging data better, to improve speed and accuracy of diagnosis
- Developing imaging for drug and protein localisation to reduce late stage attrition in drug development.
Visit us at the convention stand number B170