19th - 24th May 2019
Hotel Belvedere, Zakopane, Poland
This workshop brought together leading experts in the field of biological and soft matter studies to discuss sample preparation methods that preserve biological structure and molecular integrity for high-resolution imaging using high vacuum techniques.
Topics and workshop format
The 89th IUVSTA workshop brought together leading scientists in electron microscopy, secondary ion mass spectrometry, atom probe tomography, cryo-spectroscopy and related technologies to address important challenges in biological and soft matter sample preparations for high-resolution imaging by high vacuum techniques.
The workshop included invited and contributed presentations to stimulate debate. Experts shared their views and engaged in in-depth discussions to identify and solve current challenges and issues.
- Prof Andrew Ewing, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- Dr Daniel E Perea, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, USA
- Dr Gustav Sundell, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Prof Hua Tian, Penn State University, USA
- Dr Hiram Castillo-Michel, European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, France
- Prof Hans Hertz, University of Göttingen, Germany
- Dr Katie Moore, University of Manchester, UK
- Prof Mary L Kraft, University of Illinois, USA
- Prof Paul Verkade, University of Bristol, UK
- Prof Peter Sjövall, Chalmers University of Technology and SP Technical Research Institute, Sweden
- Prof Pippa Hawes, Pirbright Institute, UK
- Assistant Prof Siegfried Reipert, University of Vienna, Austria
- Prof Sarah Shahmoradian, Paul Scherrer Institute, Switzerland
The workshop was organised jointly by National Physical Laboratory (NPL, UK), the National Institute for Biological Standards and Control (NBISC, UK), Justus-Liebig University Gießen (Germany), the European Commission (Italy), and ETH Zurich (Switzerland).
Workshop organising committee
||Dr Paulina Rakowska, National Physical Laboratory, UK
||Dr Kirsty MacLellan-Gibson, Biological Imaging, National Institute for Biological Standards and Control, UK
Dr Anja Henß, Institute of Physical Chemistry Justus-Liebig University Gießen, Germany
Dr Giacomo Ceccone, European Commission, Italy, IUVSTA Biointerfaces Division Vice Chair
Dr Junting Zhang, National Physical Laboratory, UK
Dr Stephan Gerstl, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
|Senior Advisory Committe:
||Prof Ian Gilmore (NPL), Prof Anouk Galtayries (ChimieParistech), Dr Miguel Manso (Universidad Autónomade Madrid), Dr Gregory L Fisher (Physical Electronics)
The workshop started on Monday 20 May at 08:30 hrs and closed at 13:00 hrs on Friday 24 May. There was an evening welcome reception on Sunday 19 May.
Exhibition and sponsors
The workshop is supported by the
International Union for Vacuum Science, Technique and Applications (IUVSTA)
The Organising Committee is grateful for additional sponsorship from:
|Deadline for submission of the expression of
interest form and abstract
|31 March 2019
|Deadline for early registration and
|24 March 2019
|Workshop arrival date
||19 May 2019
Workshop venue and travel
The workshop was held at Hotel Belvedere, Zakopane, Poland.
The Hotel Belvedere is easily accessible from Krakow Jan Pawel II, which is well served with flights to major European hubs. Rooms have been reserved at the venue for workshop delegates and are offered at a special workshop rate. It is expected that delegates will book accommodation at the resort, to encourage networking..