This focused activity will improve understanding of how better measurements contribute to the design, development and characterisation of materials and knowledge of how systems operate in extreme environments. This will support the oil and gas, power generation and manufacturing industries.
Many processes in these industries are required to operate in extreme environments, often with high standards of safety and efficiency. These environments can vary and could be corrosive, abrasive, subject to high temperature, pressure, contamination, or any combination of these factors. Measurement technologies and systems that enable accuracy, repeatability and reliability are vital to meeting the growing challenges in this area.
NPL aims to increase the awareness and adoption of best practices in measurements and bring the supply chain together to build new partnerships and collaborations to solve measurement challenges, through a series of workshops, seminars, webinars, reports and other community engagement activities.
A summary of the discussions that took place at the workshop 'Measuring in harsh operating environments: Focus on oil & gas and power generation' held at NPL on 20 March 2013.
Good Practice Guides
- Developing a facility at NPL that enables measurements of moisture content to be traceable back to physical standards.
- Using digital imaging technologies to assess the quality and stability of large structures that may need restoration
- Simulating conditions inside a steam power plant in order to test the resistance to friction of materials.
- Testing the properties of various material joint designs under mechanical and heat stress.
- NPL calibrates humidity sensors designed to operate at high pressures and within mixtures of gases.