NPL's Temperature & Humidity Group has world-leading expertise and facilities aimed at improving the practical measurement of temperature and humidity. We help establish and maintain the International Temperature Scale of 1990, ITS-90. We support industrial measurements through a wide range of activities including long-term research, industrial partnerships, consultancies, good practice advice, and training. We supply a range of sensors and standards, and we offer calibrations against UK National Standards that are validated through international comparisons.
We provide cost-effective, impartial, quality-assured solutions: from everyday measurements to those at the extremes of sensing technology, such as temperatures above 2000 °C, or humidity at pressure in a range of gases. We work with a variety of sectors including aerospace, manufacturing, space, medical and academia. Our development of ultra-stable thermocouples combined with the world's first UKAS-accredited calibration of high-temperature metal-carbon eutectic fixed-point standards has brought about a step change in the uncertainties and reliabilities achievable.
- Mike James, Head of Technical at Sellafield Ltd, discusses innovative approaches to nuclear waste management in Insights - Innovation.
- NPL has calibrated a wirelessly-monitored clinical thermometer, which developer Isansys Lifecare believes could help prevent patient deaths from sepsis.
- The release of over 30,000 weather station records is allowing people to make their own analyses of Earth's recent climate using quality-assured data.
- Funding awarded to NPL to work on early identification of foot problems among diabetes sufferers.
- Temperature expert Professor Graham Machin had been elected as an Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council Physical Sciences Strategic Advisor.
- NPL's Graham Machin has been elected Chair of the EURAMET Technical Committee of Thermometry.