NPL’s Temperature & Humidity Group has world-leading expertise and facilities aimed at improving the practical measurement of temperature and humidity. We help establish and maintain the International Temperature Scale of 1990, ITS-90. We support industrial measurements through a wide range of activities including long-term research, industrial partnerships, consultancies, good practice advice, and training. We supply a range of sensors and standards, and we offer calibrations against UK National Standards that are validated through international comparisons.
We provide cost-effective, impartial, quality-assured solutions: from everyday measurements to those at the extremes of sensing technology, such as temperatures above 2000 °C, or humidity at pressure in a range of gases. We work with a variety of sectors including aerospace, manufacturing, space, medical and academia. Our development of ultra-stable thermocouples combined with the world’s first UKAS accredited calibration of high-temperature metal-carbon eutectic fixed-point standards has brought about a step change in the uncertainties and reliabilities achievable.
- Two new Beginner's Guides have been produced – one covering Temperature and the other Humidity.
- Same quality of service, now with faster turnaround, lower uncertainties and at a lower cost.
- NPL temperature scientists deliver training course at NASA.
- NPL tests the insulation of underwater oil and gas pipelines used to transport oil from deeper, hotter fields.
- NPL has completed UKAS accreditation of its newly developed capability for calibration of dew point hygrometers at above-atmospheric pressures.
- New thermometer uses sound waves to measure temperature.