NPL's ultrasonics expertise includes:
- Provision of premier calibration and testing services for the area of ultrasonic metrology, providing traceability to both the industrial and hospital community
- Undertaking of leading-edge metrological research and, through it, to develop, validate and exploit novel instrumentation to meet the requirements of the UK user community
- Dissemination of the research through a variety of means: peer-reviewed publications; exposure of key results on the internet; and contributing to, and influencing, the development of international specification standards to the benefit of the UK
- Promotion of the benefits and impact of the metrological take-up by the user community, through the coordination of targeted Knowledge Transfer events, including workshops addressing issues of measurement at the user level
- In the area of acoustic emission, expertise includes development of a robust traceable source for in-situ calibration, sensor calibration and characterisation, and modelling of acoustic emission systems
- NPL provides services for hospitals and industry, through the calibration of radiation force balances for determining ultrasonic output power, and the measurement of ultrasonic power itself, produced by customer systems ranging from prototype transducers to reference sources.
Ultrasound products and services
- Measuring the attenuation and speed of sound in liquids and solids
- Details of ultrasound products available from NPL and our chosen partners.
- Training in output measurements for medical ultrasound equipment, both therapeutic and diagnostic.
- NPL offers training in output measurements for medical ultrasound equipment, and has a Ultrasound Measurement Club to promote information exchange.
- Ultrasound transducers and reference sources such as those produced by NIST and Precision Acoustics may be calibrated according to IEC61161.
Please note that the information will not be divulged to third parties, or used without your permission