NPL offers a fast response service for difficult to measure components that require highly skilled techniques traceable to National Standards. Our services provide high-confidence inspection results within timescales that critical production cycles demand.
NPL Manufacturer Measurement Network
NPL has created a network to support manufacturers, currently running in the north of England. For more details and to submit a membership application, click here
Measurement of components and assemblies
Dimensional measurement against customer supplied drawings and CAD models by highly skilled engineers using state-of-the-art test equipment in an environmentally controlled laboratory.
Measurement results can be presented in a format to suit your requirements - therefore ensuring quality systems are adhered to within the production environment.
As the UK's largest measurement centre of excellence, NPL employs nationally recognised experts in metrology with many years' experience inspecting complex manufactured parts.
Learn the best way to measure your own manufactured components and assemblies from first principles through to CMM measurement. Includes drawing interpretation, workholding and fixturing, measurement strategy and measurement process.
Access to expertise
NPL offers continuous access to a reliable source of experts and affordable inspection skills at a time when customers are having increased difficulty in retaining high calibre metrology and inspection staff of their own.
Our services include:
- Measurement of components and assemblies to customers' drawings, including airfoil type components, medical devices, fixtures, special to product gauges and gold standard masters
- Development of specific CMM programmes for parts with complex features and tight tolerances
- Correlation of on-table and CMM results and supporting CAD data
- Supply of First Article Inspection Reports
- Independent verification of complex components with very high tolerance features, including prismatics and difficult to specify parts
- Development of novel measurement and inspection techniques
- Resolution of measurement related disputes
- Bespoke training on customers' own metrology requirements, including training in best practice measurement on customers' own manufactured components
The NPL Huddersfield Laboratory is located at the University of Huddersfield's 3M Buckley Innovation Centre. Find out more about the Centre in the following video:
News & Events
What our customers say
Manufacturing in the Calderdale and Kirklees areas are growing, thanks to the support of NPL. Precision of measurement and consistency are key to meeting the high quality standards of customers. Having a resource such as NPL Huddersfield is key to meeting and exceeding these customer key requirements. The NPL Huddersfield team has engaged and been supporting local manufacturers, ensuring businesses can win and grow business, both locally and internationally.
Gary Smith - CKMA and Novaglaze Ltd
Please note that the information will not be divulged to third parties, or used without your permission