- Increasing quantities of radioactive waste are being placed into storage facilities. Many of the waste products contain organic materials which may undergo degradation leading to the release of tritium and carbon-14 species into waste containers and potentially into the environment.
- The NPL radioactive gas-in-air calibration system has been used to study the effect of humidity on the response to tritium of two tritium-in-air ion chamber based monitors and one proportional counting system which uses a P10/air gas mixture.
- When performing high accuracy radiation thermometry, the size-of-source effect (SSE) of a filter radiometer can provide a significant contribution to the uncertainties associated with the measurements.
- Temperature drift in thermometer calibrations in liquid nitrogen and argon is overcome by measuring the ratio of thermometer resistances, which are substantially independent of temperature.
- This paper describes a method to calibrate photodiode array spectrometers in spectral radiance mode using a fixed-point blackbody as a reference source.
- The lack of validation and standardisation is a barrier to the wider commercialisation of QKD. A joint research project aims to develop metrological techniques, standards and methods for new industrial quantum optical communication technologies.
- This poster describes the current status and future developments of the International Surface Temperature Initiative, an open source data bank of historical meteorological records which can be used for Climate Research.
- Filter radiometers are used to measure the thermodynamic temperature of a blackbody source by determining the radiance of the source over a spectral region defined by the filter. This paper presents a method to calculate the uncertainty from the measurement equation directly.
- Photoelectrochemical activity screening of dyes on TiO2 surfaces is becoming increasingly relevant as industry tries to expand commercialisation of dye-sensitized solar cells (DSSCs).
Joint winners of the NPL Science Poster Fair 2012