What are the benefits?
Major advanced manufacturers in the UK tell us that product verification activities account for between 10% and 20% of the cost of finished products. Making this more effective can lead to significant cost savings and quality improvements.
This overall increase in competitiveness will enable you to attract more business and grow sales.
NPL's Product Verification services have been developed to help you:
- Reduce waste
- Avoid concessions
- Have confidence in products
- Increase machine utilisation
- Reduce human intervention
- Shorten manufacturing lead-times
- Bring about overall improvements in productivity
By working with NPL, one manufacturer is saving over £180k pa by improving the efficiency of their CMM, and another has identified inspection savings of £10k pa on one part alone.
The ability to manufacture products and components 'right first time, right every time' is a key factor in reducing costs and gaining competitiveness.
NPL's Product Verification Services help companies manufacture products to original design specifications through better measurement and inspection practices.
Product verification is an important part of any well-performing firm's quality assurance activities. It looks at whether a product adheres to design specifications, procedures, customer requirements and standards. If a product is not compliant, then it also helps identify why.
Product verification relies on accurate and timely data, so needs good measurement capability and practice. With better knowledge, companies can optimise manufacturing and inspection processes. This helps reduce concessions and rework as well as improve production times, increasing capacity and saving many thousands of pounds.
But product verification is often overlooked or isn't effective, so costly but avoidable manufacturing errors build up. NPL, the UK's National Measurement Institute, is helping manufacturers maximise competitive advantage by providing support to improve product verification capability that will lead to significant bottom line improvements.
- NPL's Product Verification team worked with JJ Churchill's engineers as part of the Sharing in Growth programme to further develop its measurement (metrology) capability.
- Stone Foundries has secured a multimillion-pound contract as a result of product verification support from NPL.
- Anglia CNC Engineering expects to save at least £50k a year after using NPL's product verification services.
- NPL has been awarded a new contract by Sharing in Growth UK Ltd to continue supporting the aerospace industry through its Product Verification Programme.
- NPL customer CW Fletcher has secured a deal with Japanese firm Kawaksaki Heavy Industries (KHI).
- Workshop held by NPL and Midlands Aerospace Alliance focused on using new aerospace manufacturing standards to create competitive advantage.
Please note that the information will not be divulged to third parties, or used without your permission