- Development of the analytical tools underpinning the application of nanomaterials to different fields of technology, with focus on their use in medicine, diagnostics and pharmaceutics.
- Development of measurement methods for nanoparticles using X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, differential centrifugal sedimentation, tuneable resistive pulse sensing, particle tracking analysis, dynamic light scattering and other techniques.
- Active in the ISO Nanotechnology community.
Caterina Minelli studied physics in Florence, Italy, and obtained a PhD in Nanotechnology from the École Polytechnique Fédérale of Lausanne (EPFL, Switzerland) in 2004. Between 2001 and 2004, Caterina gained industry-focused experience working at the company Swiss Center for Electronic and Microtechnology (CSEM SA, Neuchâtel, Switzerland). Caterina was awarded the International Fellowship for Young Scientists to work at the Biomaterials Center of the National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS, Tsukuba, Japan) between 2005 and 2006. Afterwards, she moved to the UK to work at Imperial College London, where she was awarded the competitive EU Marie Curie Fellowship to work on peptide-based nanoscale systems for cancer therapy and diagnostics. Caterina joined NPL in July 2010. In 2014 she was seconded to the former Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) to work at the development of the Science and Innovation Strategy published by the UK government in December 2014.
Caterina is a chartered physicist and a member of the Institute of Physics.
- VAMAS Inter-Laboratory Study on Measuring the Thickness and Chemistry of Nanoparticle Coatings Using XPS and LEIS, N. A. Belsey, D. J. H. Cant, C. Minelli et al, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, online (2016)
- Size and ζ-potential measurement of silica nanoparticles in serum using tunable resistive pulse sensing, A. Sikora, A.G. Shard and C. Minelli, Langmuir, 32, 2216-2 (2016)
- Analysis of protein coatings on gold nanoparticles by XPS and liquid-based particle sizing techniques, N.A. Belsey, A.G. Shard and C. Minelli, Biointerphases, 10, 019012 (2015)
- Emerging techniques for sub-micron particle sizing applied to Stöber silica, N. Bell, C. Minelli et al, Langmuir, 28 10860 (2012)
- Engineering Nanocomposite Materials for Cancer Therapy, C. Minelli, S.B. Lowe and M.M. Stevens, Small, 6, 2336-2357 (2010)
See Google Scholar for a full publication list
Tel: 020 8943 6689
Please note that the information will not be divulged to third parties, or used without your permission