- Determining the concentration of biomolecules on surfaces to underpin measurements made in biomaterial science and diagnostics.
- Identification of biomolecules on surfaces, with a particular focus on carbohydrates.
- Measuring the distribution of active ingredients in drug delivery system.
Alex obtained his PhD in surface modification and analysis from Durham University in 1992 and has been active in surface chemical analysis since then, working at the University of Nottingham and Daresbury Laboratory and then as a lecturer in chemistry at The Robert Gordon University and as a senior lecturer in biomaterials at the University of Sheffield. Alex joined NPL in 2006 and is now a Principal Research Scientist and Knowledge Leader for the Analytical Sciences Division. Alex has over 70 peer-reviewed publications, 20 of these since 2008 and he regularly presents at national and international conferences. Alex is a member of the British Vacuum Council and secretary of the Applied Surface Science Division of IUVSTA, he is on the organising committee of the UK Surface Analysis Forum and the Surface Science of Biologically Important Interfaces.
- Sample cooling or rotation improves C60 organic depth profiles of multilayered reference samples:results from a VAMAS interlaboratory studyx
P. Sjövall, D. Rading, S. Ray, L. Yang, A. G. Shard
J. Phys. Chem. B, 114, page 769 (2010)
- Organic depth profiling of a binary system: the compositional effect on secondary ion yield and a model for charge transfer during secondary ion emissionx
A. G. Shard, A. Rafati, R. Ogaki, J. L. S. Lee, S. Hutton, G. Mishra, M. C. Davies, M. R. Alexander
J. Phys. Chem. B, 113, 11574 (2009)
- XPS Topofactors: determining overlayer thickness on particles and fibres
A. G. Shard, J. Wang, S. J. Spencer
Surf. Interface Anal., 41, page 541 (2009)
- Quantitative molecular depth profiling of organic delta-layers by C60 ion sputtering and ToF-SIMS
A G Shard, F M Green, P J Brewer, M P Seah, I S Gilmore
J. Phys. Chem. B, 112, page 2596 (2008)
- Analysis of metastable ions in the ToF-SIMS spectra of polymers
A. G. Shard, I. S. Gilmore
xInt. J. Mass Spec., 269 page 85 (2008)
Tel: 020 8943 6193
Please note that the information will not be divulged to third parties, or used without your permission