Health, Safety + Environment
Through positive support from management, well-trained staff and efficient systems, we maintain a high level of Health and Safety performance on site.
NPL's commitment to the continual improvement of health and safety is demonstrated by the continued high level of recognition that NPL receives in the Annual RoSPA Research and Development Sector Awards.
RoSPA Research and Development Sector Awards
- 2015 - President's Award
- 2014 - Highly Commended
- 2013 - Sector Award Winner
- 2012 - Sector Award Winner
- 2011 - Commended
- 2010 - Commended
- 2009 - Sector Award Winner
- 2008 - Highly Commended
- 2007 - Gold Medal
- 2006 - Gold Award
- 2005 - Gold Award
- 2004 - Gold Award
- 2003 - Gold Award
NPL's Health & Safety Policy
This policy applies to all NPL Management Ltd staff.
NPL Management Ltd shall provide and maintain a working environment that is as safe and healthy as is reasonably practicable at all places where the Company's staff or representatives may work, both for our staff members and our client or third parties using those facilities under our control or influence.
The Company goals of client satisfaction, ongoing business development and long term profitability are not in conflict with good safety practices. On the contrary, a good safety record is of great benefit to our business, whilst a safe and healthy working environment protects and encourages people, our most important asset.
All relevant statutory requirements will be complied with, at all times. These will be considered as a minimum standard and where reasonably practicable will be exceeded where necessary to meet the spirit of this policy.
It is Management's duty to ensure that staff members are well informed and receive adequate Health and Safety training, and that tasks are allocated only to staff members capable of filling those tasks in a manner safe to themselves and others. All staff members are required to understand their responsibilities and duties and to carry out those duties with the same diligence and priority as any other task. Nothing is more important than safety.
It is our policy to assess hazards and, through good organisation, planning and communication, minimise the risks and apply control measures to ensure so far as is reasonably practicable the health and safety of all. The minimisation of risk is the primary goal of this policy, with risk reduction and control measures being implemented where this is not practical or possible.
Each and every individual is duty bound to act in a safe manner. No staff or subcontractor must knowingly endanger themselves, their colleagues, staff members of other organisations or the general public by their own acts or omissions.
The National Physical Laboratory's management framework and scientific principles are based on rigour, respect and responsibility.
- Always work within sound scientific principles.
- Challenge our involvement in scientific work that raises ethical issues.
- Document our decision making.
NPL's scientific research is built on a foundation of trust and integrity and, as an organisation, we are committed to the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct. NPL's research is undertaken in accordance with the highest standards of research methodology.
NPL adheres to the Government Office for Science's Universal Ethical Code for Scientists.
This universal ethical code of the values and responsibilities of scientists, has three main aims:
- To encourage ethical research.
- To get scientists thinking about the implications and impacts of their work.
- To support communication between scientists and the public on complex and challenging issues.
NPL is committed to ensuring that there is no modern slavery or human trafficking in our supply chains or in any part of our business.
NPL Management Ltd Environmental Policy
NPL Management Ltd is committed to sound environmental performance by minimising the impact of our activities on the environment. This is done by ensuring:
- Compliance with The Environment Act 1995, The Environmental Protection Act 1990 and all other relevant legislation and regulations.
- Management of our environmental impacts in a responsible and caring manner, via a management system aligned with the requirements of ISO 14001:2004.
- The prevention of pollution, and the continual improvement of our environmental performance.
- We set Objectives and Targets on our key environmental impacts and review them periodically.
- Our staff are educated and motivated to conduct their activities in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Communication is established and maintained with all interested parties and that we operate a policy of openness and close liaison with the local community.
- All third parties involved with our business operate to the environmental standards we do.
- We regularly review and revise the Environmental Policy to reflect changes in our activities, operating conditions or industry best practice.
Authorised: Peter Thompson
Date: September 2015
Dr Peter Thompson, Chief Executive Officer, NPL Management Limited
Please note that the information will not be divulged to third parties, or used without your permission