Gareth Hinds is an electrochemist/material scientist with research interests in electrochemical energy conversion and corrosion.
Gareth is Principal Research Scientist in the Electrochemistry Group at the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) in Teddington, Middlesex. His primary expertise is in the development of novel in situ diagnostic techniques and standard test methods for assessment of corrosion and material degradation in energy applications. Gareth has a strong track record of delivering innovative solutions to engineering problems with demonstrable impact on industry in a range of sectors, including oil and gas, power generation and electrochemical energy conversion and storage.
Gareth has established and continues to lead NPL research in electrochemical energy conversion and storage, which is focused on the development of novel in situ measurement techniques, modelling tools and standard test methods to support commercialisation of polymer electrolyte membrane (PEM) fuel cells/electrolysers, lithium batteries and redox flow cells. Recent highlights include an innovative reference electrode that allows mapping of the spatial variation in electrode potential across the active area of PEM fuel cells and electrolysers; a novel galvanostatic technique for simultaneous measurement of electrochemical active surface area of each cell in a fuel cell stack; synchrotron imaging of lithium ion batteries during thermal runaway; and the development of a multiphysics model of PEM fuel cell performance in an accessible software platform.
Gareth is also heavily involved in the development and standardisation of novel test methods for materials selection in the oil and gas industry. Recent achievements include the development of a novel method for measurement of pitting susceptibility of materials in representative oilfield environments; a multi-electrode technique for evaluation of the performance of inhibitors for underdeposit corrosion; and the adaptation of the drop evaporation test method to the determination of the threshold temperature for coating of duplex stainless steels in evaporative seawater conditions. He has carried out research, testing, failure analysis and provided expert advice on corrosion and material degradation for a wide range of clients, primarily in the energy sector.
Gareth is the author of over 120 publications, including 51 peer-reviewed journal papers, 18 conference papers, 54 NPL technical reports and several trade journal articles. He sits on international standards committees IEC TC 105 (Fuel Cell Technologies) and ISO TC 67 (Materials, equipment and offshore structures for petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries). He is a Chartered Engineer and Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC), the Institute of Corrosion (FICorr), and the Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining (FIMMM). He is a Trustee and Council Member of the Institute of Corrosion and Past Chair of its Corrosion Science Division. He is also a member of several NACE technical committees and sits on the Corrosion Committee of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining and the UK Corrosion Network.
- Detection of internal defects in lithium ion batteries using lock-in thermography, J.B. Robinson, E. Engebretsen, D.P. Finegan, J. Darr, G. Hinds, P.R. Shearing, D.J. L. Brett, ECS Electrochemistry Letters, Vol. 4, A106-A109 (2015)
- Influence of weld preparation procedure and heat tinting on sulfide stress corrosion cracking of duplex stainless steel, L. Wickström, G. Hinds, A. Turnbull, Corrosion, Vol. 71, 1036-1047 (2015)
- In-operando high-speed tomography of lithium-ion batteries during thermal runaway, D.P. Finegan, M. Scheel, J.B. Robinson, B. Tjaden, I. Hunt, T.J. Mason, J. Millichamp, M. Di Michiel, G.J. Offer, G. Hinds, D.J.L. Brett, P.R. Shearing, Nature Communications, Vol. 6, 6924 (2015)
- Towards more representative test methods for corrosion resistance of PEMFC metallic bipolar plates, G. Hinds, E. Brightman, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 40, 2785-2791 (2015)
- In situ characterisation of PEM water electrolysers using a novel reference electrode, E. Brightman, J. Dodwell, N. Van Dijk, G. Hinds, Electrochem. Commun., Vol. 52, 1-4 (2015)
- Multi-objective optimization of lithium-ion battery model using genetic algorithm approach, L. Zhang, L. Wang, G. Hinds, C. Lyu, J. Zheng, J. Li, J. Power Sources, Vol. 270, 367-78 (2014)
- In situ mapping of potential transients during start-up and shut-down of a polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell, E. Brightman, G. Hinds, J. Power Sources, Vol. 267, 160-170 (2014)
- Parameter sensitivity analysis of cylindrical LiFePO4 battery performance using multi-physics modeling, L.Q. Zhang, C. Lyu, G. Hinds, L.X. Wang, W.L. Luo, J. Zheng, K.H. Ma, J. Electrochem. Soc., Vol. 161, A762-A776 (2014)
- Novel method for determination of pitting susceptibility in aggressive environments at elevated temperature and pressure, G. Hinds, L. Wickström, J. Abda, A. Turnbull, V. Smith, R. Woollam, Corros. Sci., Vol. 85, 33-41 (2014)
- Non-uniform temperature distribution in Li-ion batteries during discharge - A combined thermal imaging, X-ray micro-tomography and electrochemical impedance approach, J.B. Robinson, J.A. Darr, D.S. Eastwood, G. Hinds, P.D. Lee, P.R. Shearing, O.O. Taiwo, D.J.L. Brett, J. Power Sources, Vol. 252, 51-57 (2014)
- Spatially resolved diagnostic methods for polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells: a review, C, Kalyvas, A. Kucernak, D.J.L. Brett, G. Hinds, S. Atkins, N. Brandon, WIREs Energy Environ., Vol. 3, 254-275 (2014)
- Influence of acoustic cavitation on the controlled ultrasonic dispersion of carbon nanotubes, A. Sesis, M. Hodnett, G. Memoli, A.J. Wain, I. Jurewicz, A.B. Dalton, J.D. Carey, G. Hinds, J. Phys. Chem. B, Vol. 117, 15141-15150 (2013)
- In situ mapping of electrode potential in a PEMFC, G. Hinds, ECS Transactions, Vol. 58, 1565-1587 (2013)
- In situ measurement of active catalyst surface area in fuel cell stacks, E. Brightman, G. Hinds, R. O'Malley, J. Power Sources, Vol. 242, 244-247 (2013)
- Impact of surface condition on sulphide stress corrosion cracking of 316L stainless steel, G. Hinds, L. Wickstrom, K. Mingard, A. Turnbull, Corros. Sci., Vol. 71, 43-52 (2013)
- Humidity, pressure and temperature measurements in an interdigitated-flow PEM hydrogen fuel cell, S. Bell, G. Hinds, M. de Podesta, M. Stevens, J. Wilkinson, Int. J. Thermophys., Vol. 33, pp. 1583-1594 (2012)
- In situ mapping of electrode potential in a PEM fuel cell, G. Hinds, E. Brightman, Electrochem. Commun., Vol. 17, 26-29 (2012)
Tel: 020 8943 7147
Please note that the information will not be divulged to third parties, or used without your permission