NPL offers a fast response service for difficult to measure components that require highly skilled techniques traceable to National Standards. Our services provide high-confidence inspection results within timescales that critical production cycles demand.
Measurement of components and assemblies
Dimensional measurement against customer supplied drawings and CAD models by highly skilled engineers using state-of-the-art test equipment in an environmentally controlled laboratory.
Measurement results can be presented in a format to suit your requirements - therefore ensuring quality systems are adhered to within the production environment.
As the UK's largest measurement centre of excellence, NPL employs nationally recognised experts in metrology with many years' experience inspecting complex manufactured parts.
Learn the best way to measure your own manufactured components and assemblies from first principles through to CMM measurement. Includes drawing interpretation, workholding and fixturing, measurement strategy and measurement process.
Access to expertise
NPL offers continuous access to a reliable source of experts and affordable inspection skills at a time when customers are having increased difficulty in retaining high calibre metrology and inspection staff of their own.
Our services include:
- Measurement of components and assemblies to customers' drawings, including airfoil type components, medical devices, fixtures, special to product gauges and gold standard masters
- Development of specific CMM programmes for parts with complex features and tight tolerances
- Correlation of on-table and CMM results and supporting CAD data
- Supply of First Article Inspection Reports
- Independent verification of complex components with very high tolerance features, including prismatics and difficult to specify parts
- Development of novel measurement and inspection techniques
- Resolution of measurement related disputes
- Bespoke training on customers' own metrology requirements, including training in best practice measurement on customers' own manufactured components
The NPL Huddersfield Laboratory is located at the University of Huddersfield's 3M Buckley Innovation Centre
While NPL is a company of international repute, their engagement with local industry brings a vital component to local growth and development. The partnership opportunities afforded by NPL have led to significant impact in the region, both on a national and international basis. It has also provided local leverage into larger national companies. Certainly for the Arms and Armour Research Institute, the relationship is of enormous benefit and highly valued.
Reverend Paul Wilcock
Director, Arms and Armour Research Institute