We are committed to developing an exemplar company, promoting excellence in science through a diverse staff and an inclusive environment and culture at all levels of the organisation; enabling every employee to feel valued and to excel in their chosen field.
We are committed to building a culture of inclusion within our very diverse organisation, enabling us to profit from the individual differences that people bring. This includes supporting individuals to grow, succeed and enjoy working at NPL, by ensuring our policies allow us to work in a positive and open environment.
In every working relationship, NPL will ensure equality of opportunity, honour the rights of the individual and foster partnership and trust. NPL will promote and reinforce its culture of fairness by treating everyone on the basis of their own individual merits and abilities regardless of their own or perceived race, sex, religion/belief, nationality, disability, marital or civil partnership status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, trade union activity, political belief, pregnancy or maternity, caring responsibilities or irrelevant medical or criminal records.
All NPL employees:
- Understand and observe appropriate behaviour, recognising and respecting cultural differences and traditions
- Reflect on the core value of nurturing and respecting individuals, treating everyone they interact with at work with courtesy, dignity and respect
- Understand and comply with NPL policy, employment law and regulations
- Report any concerns about discrimination or unfair treatment
- Never tolerate, personally display or engage in prejudice or discrimination or of any kind
- Work together to create a positive environment; to enable us to perform to the best of our ability
Information on groups at NPL which are involved in promoting employee diversity and inclusivity:
The Diversity Task Force
The Diversity Task Force, chaired by the Director for Infrastructure and Support Services, focuses on diversity issues around NPL to provide a diverse view on key strategic business objectives, policies and procedures, and begin to think creatively about a long term diversity strategy for NPL.
- Benchmark - externally benchmark our diversity performance; informing our actions, and achieving recognition
- Implement & Maintain - improve against external benchmark; developing and maintaining best practice
- Monitor & Evaluate - continuously monitor our performance; evaluating how to improve
- Encourage Access - ensure that every employee can speak up about diversity issues in a way that works for them
- Utilise & Benefit - build and strengthen our business performance through our Diversity USP
The NPL LGBT+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender) Network
The NPL LGBT+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) Network, a group for all NPL staff and visitors to meet informally and discuss current issues affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. The network has four main objectives:
- Discuss current issues affecting LGBT+ people at NPL
- Provide advice to NPL on issues affecting LGBT+ people
- Raise awareness of diversity and sexual orientation inclusion at NPL
- Promote NPL as an LGBT+ friendly organisation
The group meets every week, holds regular social meetings out of the office, and represents the organisation at Pride events.
Project Juno supports women in science and engineering (WISE)
Aims to develop a culture of equality for opportunity and reward, enabling all individuals to optimise their contribution to their team and to NPL
Please note that the information will not be divulged to third parties, or used without your permission